- VCHA Administrative Searches
- Interprofessional Education (IPE)
- Population Health Sciences Program (PHSP)
- Quality and Patient Safety
- Health Policy and Strategy
Medicare Policy at UI Health
The VCHA Health Policy and Strategy team follows, interprets, and communicates internally about Medicare policy developments, and recommends appropriate actions for UI Health. We also prepare communications to federal agencies and congressional offices, and directly engage with key contacts, including our national associations.
Major areas of Medicare policy that we cover include:
- Analysis of new payment methodologies, including:
- Support efforts to preserve payments for hospital outpatient departments (HOPDs), including evaluation and management payments
- Support graduate medical education (GME) to help ensure access to care and training the next generation of physicians
- Support efforts to delay reductions to disproportionate share hospital (DSH) payments
- Medicare quality and value based penalties, such as the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program (HRRP). We are particularly interested in risk-adjustment for socioeconomic status in calculating readmissions rates.
- We monitor funding proposals and reductions related to workforce training education, especially those that impact primary care providers and federally qualified health centers (FQHCs).
- Federal budget process and its implications for UI Health
- Although not part of Medicare, we also cover issues related to the 340B drug pricing program
Office contact: Amy Sagen
- How rogue immune cells cross the blood-brain barrier to cause multiple sclerosis November 21, 2017
- Disparities in exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals may drive higher diabetes rates in minorities November 15, 2017
- Hospital throws Turkey Day party for survivors, kids with cancer November 14, 2017
- Cuban delegation, UIC work toward better women’s health in Englewood November 13, 2017
- Both obese and anorexic women have low levels of ‘feel good’ neurosteroid November 10, 2017
UIC Related links